Tuesday 4 February 2014

What's it like being Blind!



For those that not are aware, my dad is nearly 90 and legally blind, has been for many years. Still lives in his two story house alone expect when my husband and I go down every week and sleep for a night or two. Dad lives just over 100 km away. He is able to walk up and down the stairs, on odd occasions comes shopping with me, and his mind - well that is sharp as a tack!
I wrote these words back in February 2009. What I have written is so very true. (I did a post back then), infact I have been blogging for a very long time and have deleted all posts prior to 2009 including many in 2009 and onwards. Thinking I should have kept them there, too late now.



he walked into the room
and sat down on the chair
look out the window and said,
“what a beautiful sea”.

with surprise he said,
“i see that ship, it’s all coloured white, the size of a match box”,
he turned and looked at me
as i sat in my chair looking at him.

the sun was shining bright
glaring into the room
he said, “are you there, daughter, for i do not hear you,
where are you, are you there my daughter?”

i sat there in silence, listened to his words
as he looked straight at me
but of course he didn’t see,
for the sun was not shining on me. 
JMD

14 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post. It brought tears to my eyes. May God truly bless your father and his daughter. HUGS!!
    I have been blogging since 2005. I deleted my blog and restarted in 2006. I have all of my old posts saved on Wordpress blogs. I wish now that I had my posts from 2005 when my husband first became ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth.
    That is a long time to blog.
    It's good that you have a copy on Wordpress.
    Even though you would remember, there are some details you may not, would be painful to read I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i take so much for granted and don't always appreciate what i have. a lovely post Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just had my eyes tested and photo of the back of the eyes done...looking forward to new glasses both for the computer and everyday, even though I don't always need them.
      To see is precious especially when you were able to see.

      Delete
  4. Oh M this is absolutely beautiful writing. xoxo Hug G

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm legally blind in my left eye (Amblyopia), I cherish having eye-sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Adam - thank goodness you have one eye that can see :)

      Delete
  6. Your dad sounds a lovely man. Nice poem about him too. Don'y delete your posts it is like throwing away a diary. Get them printed into year books from Blog to Print or Blurb. Then you can delete them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane...I suppose it I like throwing away a diary..

      Delete
  7. Beautifully written. Mother was blind and my son was visually impaired. Yet many times they seemed to see what I missed. Once I noticed my son blowing kisses toward heaven. What was he seeing in his spirit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      That was not good re your mother, but something else is gained when site is gone plus they can teach us much...Your son, blowing kisses to God :)

      Delete

Thank you for calling and your comment.
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop